Sunday, May 10, 2009

The book that changed my life forever...



In the 70s, my Mom gave me this book. It was hers. But I think she decided I should have it because of how it hypnotized me full of dreams. Looking through it made me drool and made my pulse raise. The textures...the colors....the surreal designs! Knitters, crocheters, designers really took traditional skills and came up with designs that grabbed our attention. It's because of this book I got a fashion design degree.( Barbie played a role in inspiring that as well.)
I am still amazed at how 70s designers took their materials as far as they could go without the incredible tools and yarn we have today.And it seems their lifestyles followed suit with their designs.
I've been knitting for 45 years and I have watched knitting go from Phentex and Columbia Minerva yarn and straight needles to limitless innovative tools and yarn fibers. I love to follow the activist and innovative needle workers who are endlessly evolving knitting from traditional craft to innovative art form.
I even wondered if Chris from Project Runway must've also been moved by this book because his pre- finale designs had the flavor of some of the designers in this book.
Do you have a book that changed your life forever? Tell us about it.

No comments: