Sunday, February 14, 2010

Forever Leaving Us In Shock


What a shock to hear that Alexander McQueen took his life! "Shock" and "McQueen" have always been two words that weren't unusual to hear in the same sentence. His designs and shows were such a surprise-filled expression of the creative genius he was.
I've long been a fan of his sculptural, surreal creations....always at the edge of my seat waiting to see what he'd come up with to top himself.
A self-proclaimed "pink sheep of the family," McQueen strived to design with this philosophy:
"Clothes and jewelry should be startling, individual. When you see a woman in my clothes, you want to know more about them. To me, that is what distinguishes good designers from bad designers."
He left us wanting to know more about him as well. It was amazing to me how he usually dressed very plain at his shows and let his designs command all the attention. It seemed he even felt uncomfortable taking in the applause at the end of his shows. I am grateful that he followed his path and did such a brilliant body of work to keep designers inspired for lifetimes to come.

No comments: