Thursday, March 26, 2015

Accepting What Is, Birthdaywise

                                          Anyone remember growing up with this brand of potato chips?

NPR had a contest a while back asking people to come up with better names for people of my age group and above and you know what? Nobody could come up with a kind name for this age. They offered “Senior Citizen”, “Golden Years”, “Active Older Adult”, “Aging”…there are no kind words to honor people of this age group. I can’t think of any either.

In centuries gone by, white wigs were worn to honor the wisdom of age…but, in general, if people didn’t live as long back then as they do now, I wonder what age the white wigs were honoring!

So on my milestone birthday coming up, I’m not feeling the number I’m given or the ads I’m getting in the mail. All I can think to do is to incorporate my experience into my career (that I’m lucky to have at this age) and make sure I treat all ages with the respect and understanding they deserve.


No comments: